12.19.2011

Christmas

Christmas has definitely come quick this time. I think as I get older, it comes faster and faster each year....
I finished all my shopping about a week and a half ago, and all the present are wrapped under our tree, for our first married Christmas together!


Out from our kitchen, there is a ledge that is currently serving as our makeshift mantle. Works just perfectly.




Since I have ample time over this break, my goal is for us to start eating a bit healthier, and to be a bit more savvy with when we are purchasing certain items at the grocery. I searched many hours online for websites and blogs to help me out with this. I came across one that allows you to choose which store you want to look at and it lets you know what items are best to buy at that specific time. I'm trying to make smart menus one week at a time, using leftovers or extra meat from the previous meal. I'm aiming to get into this routine to make it a bit easier when school starts back. I don't know about you guys, but it can seriously be one of the biggest pains sometimes when we are trying to figure out what to eat every night. I like variety, but Kev is totally cool with eating the same ole thing. I get frustrated when he doesn't have an opinion, but that's only because he could honestly eat whatever. For real, I need a solution... I've got to figure something out.

Here is are just a few websites that I'm trying out to help me get started:
I use this to give me ideas when I know the ingredients I want to use. Comes in handy when you are trying to use the extra meat from the night before.
This blogger is awesome. She is a christian women who aims to "equip, encourage, and empower good stewardship." She is the one who lists the grocery stores with information on them. She also posts weekly meal plans and coupons.
This blog is just another weekly planner.

A lot of the crazy blogging women have this down to a freaky science. I just hope I can figure out something that works...

2 comments:

  1. I found that planning 3 meals a week worked best for me. I pick my 3 meals and make sure I have all the ingredients for them plus I try to keep some staples (bread, lunchmeat, frozen veggies, eggs)on hand at all times. After a while, you find that you'll have most everything in your freezer/pantry and you'll only need to pick up a few ingredients for your weekly meals.

    Buy things that are on sale & freeze them. We bought 2 turkeys after Thanksgiving because they were so cheap. We just cooked them & put the meat in the freezer. We use it to make tacos, bbq, chili, sandwiches. I'm picky about chicken & won't buy the pre-frozen stuff. I'll get the good kind (nothing with saline added to it) and freeze them 2 to a bag. You can also do that with ground beef. Buy the family size then break it down into 1 lb bags for the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! We have learned that freezing is a good way to go too. (peppers and veggies) The only problem is that our freezer is the size of a lunch box. Seriously. Those turkeys are a good idea too!

    ReplyDelete